The lighthouse at Cap-d'Espoir The present lighthouse dates from 1939. This is the second lighthouse built at this site. The initial one was established in 1873. From a height of 14 meters, this present lighthouse is painted red and white. The tower made of concrete, is of an octagonal shape. The fog signal dates from 1959. The Cap-d'Espoir lighthouse has served a long period of time. It was used for local fishing near the coasts as well as for transatlantic sailing. It is still in operation.